Print
PDF

DAY 16

(24.09.2011 SATURDAY)

We wake up at the hotel that we spent the night at San Simeon. Our target is to go up to the north today, to Monterey, CA. We have a Turkish friend in Monterey and we are invited for the breakfast. The road we are taking to go north is called CA-1... we decided to take this road to follow the ocean view along the road, but....

the fog is so intense that makes impossible to see the ocean. There are some open spaces, but it closes again the scenery...

We pass through a city, called Carmel, before we arrive at Monterey. It immediately attracts us with the architecture of it. We take a short break in Carmen, because it is very early for the breakfast. This a very nice town like old europe towns. And it is very rich as we learn...

After Carmel we learn the breakfast time comes, and we go to Monterey... We find our friend's house and eat breakfast together with the lovely chat with them. Our stomachs get very happy with this Turkish breakfast after 20 days... and I eat all the table, because we won't see this kind of a breakfast for another 5-6 days.

After the breakfast, we say goodbye to our friends and go to the city center of Monterey. There are too much sea lions here in Monterey. And there are too much people that deals with the water sports...

From scuba diving to free diving, from surfing to swimming... all Monterey people are here for sports... there are some other sea creatures in addition to the sea lions as well...

The sea lions live like pets here... and the population is really high... they are almost 100 times of the dogs or cats that you can see around.. They may be competitive in number of the people here. I'm not exaggerating...

The sea lion on this picture was heaving while I was taking his photograph, and we were looking to understand what he was doing. After a while we understand that he was trying to spit the seamoss in his mouth on us. We get away from it by a lucky reflexive movement...

After Monterey, we look at our watches and see there is plent of time, we take our motorcycle and hit the road again... to San Fransisco. We follow CA-1 again to go up to San Fransisco. And we can see the scenery when the fog goes at last!

Of course scenery means photograph... photograph means stopping... stopping means losing time... but it worths... we zoom to the light house to see it closer...

after this scenic road....

the famous Golden Gate Bridge... well it is famous but I don't know why... but with the movies, it is on our minds always. It is about marketing I guess.. 

According to Frommers, which is one of the most travellers' guide that is sold in the USA, this bridge is probably the most beautiful, but definitely the most photographed one in the world. Anyway, I try to say that we arrive at San Fransisco when I was telling about Golden Gate....

Of course another attraction about San Fransisco is the Alcatraz Prison... you may remember it from the movie "The Rock". It was first constructed to serve as a lighthouse, and a facility to live... then it became a military castle, and military prison and federal prison... and finally it is given to the national parks management in 1972... then became a place that is open to tourists' visits. But, the time is not available for us to visit there...

We go to Pier 39, the most famous port of San Fransisco instead...  we go on the small hills of San Fransisco while going to the port. You may remember these hills from the movies again with the tramways and houses... we park the motorcycle when we arrive at Pier 39, and start to walk.

Of course we are hungry and the first stop on the Pier is the restaurant on the picture above... we find the opportunity to taste the Clam Chowder, which is a very famous soup. 

According to wikipedia:

"Clam chowder is any of several chowders containing clams and broth. Along with the clams, diced potato is common, as are onions, which are occasionally sautéed in the drippings from salt pork or baconCelery is frequently used. Other vegetables are uncommon, but small carrot strips might occasionally be added, primarily for color. A garnish of parsley serves the same purpose. Bay leaves are also sometimes used as a garnish and flavoring. It is believed that clams were added to chowder because of the relative ease of harvesting them.

Clam chowder is often served in restaurants on Fridays in order to provide a seafood option for those who abstain from meat every Friday, which once was a requirement for Catholics before liturgical changes in Vatican II. Though the period of strict abstinence from meat on Fridays was reduced to Lent,the year-round tradition of serving clam chowder on Fridays remains."

Well, according to Emel: this is one of the best things we've ever eaten in the USA. Both of the definitions fit me... I eat and forget...

Afterwards, we go in a shop to buy some stuff. A Filipino guy is working at the shop. While we are chatting the word comes to the age of him. He offers me a deal "if I guess his age right, he will not take money for what we buy" And he gives me three opportunity to guess. But I guess at the first one as 61, then I take the present... we were like we are in the fair...

After we leave the shop and the time becomes late, we start to search for a hotel to stay. But today is saturday, and we can not find a hotel around. Everywhere is full... after 2 hours of phone calls we finally find a hotel to stay at Richmond which is only two miles from San Fransisco. And we go immediately there withouth thinking anything else... but on the way a thought comes to my mind... this place may not be safe... otherwise it won't be available...

And the thought becomes true when we arrive at Richmond. We leave the hotel immediately when we see people outside. While passing by another hotel, it seems safer and we stop. We ask to the receptionist if there is available rooms and he says yes. And I ask to him if it is safe for motorcycle? and the answer is "Pretty Safe!"

He tells me to park to the handicapped parking, and I ask to him if police says something. He says "there are not much police around here!" 

Now, I'm relaxed!

I don't know whether a ticket or not to take it is good? We may wake up in the morning without a motorcycle...

Therefore, I cannot sleep well after a 260-mile road today... but I'm not complaining...

end of th 16th day...

DAY 1
    DAY 2
    DAY 3
    DAY 4
    DAY 5
    DAY 6
    DAY 7
    DAY 8
    DAY 9
    DAY 10-11-12
    DAY 13